Tuesday 10 August 2010

A Fashion Dilemma


I've just bought a mexican style 'squaw' dress off ebay. I've been after one for awhile as I've seen other rockabilly gals wearing them although I wasn't sure if one would suit me. So I found one on ebay that was reasonably priced and placed a bid. To my surprise and delight no one else bid on it and the whole thing cost about £15 with postage. A great bargain as I've seen some of them listed at a lot more than that. I was worried it might not be that great or maybe a rubbish reproduction but it arrived yesterday and it's gorgeous. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then here's a picture of a lady on the 50s wearing one.

Mine is black and not as fancy as this one though you get the general idea. Now the lady in this picture is wearing flat shoes but most of the time I've seen these dresses worn with cowboy boots. Yes, cowboy boots. I loathe them. But now I'm thinking, hmmm maybe a nice subtle pair wouldn't be such a bad idea? You see squaw dresses are western wear, country singers like Rose Maddox and Patsy Cline wore them and they looked super cool in their western regalia, cowboy boots included. Here is a picture of Rose Maddox

Now how cool does she look? But I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get away with a look like this nowadays for fear of looking like I'm wearing fancy dress. Here's a photo of Patsy Cline in similar western wear
I love the cowgirl look and I wish it was one that was easy to pull off, but unless I'm at a weekend (or a hoedown!) I can't see me being able to assimilate this look into my everyday wear. It's one of those looks where I think you have to be quite dainty to get away with it because otherwise you can look quite swamped by it. I'm not sure I'm ready to go the whole way with it, so for the moment I'll wear my squaw dress with either flats or espadrilles and I might invest in the odd western, fringed cowboy shirt. But I certainly won't be wearing a stetson and cowboy boots any time in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment